Serong shortlisted for 2020 Staunch Book Prize
Australian author Jock Serong has been shortlisted for the 2020 Staunch Book Prize, having won the inaugural award in 2018 for On the Java Ridge (Text).
Serong is shortlisted for The Burning Island, a sequel to Preservation.
The full shortlist is:
- The Chemical Reaction (Fiona Erskine, Point Blank)
- Glorious Boy (Aimee Liu, Red Hen Press)
- Heaven, My Home (Attica Locke, Serpent’s Tail)
- Death in Her Hands (Ottessa Moshfegh, Vintage)
- The Burning Island (Jock Serong, Text Publishing)
- The Coldest Warrior (Paul Vidich, No Exit Press).
The Staunch Prize is awarded annually for a thriller in which ‘no woman is beaten, stalked, sexually exploited, raped or murdered’. While the award carried a cash prize of £2000 (A$3650) at its establishment, in 2020 the administrators made entry free and discontinued the cash prize.
The winner will be announced on 25 November, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.