About the book | Video message | About the author | Praise for the author | Sales and marketing campaign | Reading copy giveaway
Addictive new crime fiction from Dervla McTiernan!
Dervla McTiernan’s The Rúin was one of the biggest debuts of 2018:
- Over 34,000 copies sold in Australia alone
- Top five Australian crime bestseller for 2018
- Hopscotch Films has acquired the film rights
- Dervla was hand-picked by Val McDermid to appear on the New Blood panel at the Harrogate Festival in the UK.
Now, Detective Cormac Reilly returns in a brilliantly plotted, twisty crime thriller that will keep you guessing until the very last page.
About the book
When Dr Emma Sweeney stumbles across the victim of a hit and run outside Galway University late one evening, she calls her partner, Detective Cormac Reilly, making him first to the scene of a murder that would otherwise never have been assigned to him.
A security card in the dead woman’s pocket identifies her as Carline Darcy, a gifted student and heir apparent to Irish pharmaceutical giant Darcy Therapeutics. The multi-billion-dollar company, founded by her grandfather, has a finger in every pie, from sponsoring university research facilities to funding political parties to philanthropy—it has funded Emma’s own ground-breaking research.
The enquiry into Carline’s death promises to be high profile and high pressure. As Cormac investigates, evidence mounts that the death is linked to a Darcy laboratory and, increasingly, to Emma herself. Cormac is sure she couldn’t be involved, but as his running of the case comes under scrutiny from the department and his colleagues, he is forced to question his own objectivity.
Could his loyalty to Emma have led him to overlook evidence? Has it made him a liability?
Watch Dervla McTiernan’s message to booksellers
About the author
Dervla McTiernan was born in Country Cork, Ireland to a family of seven. She studied corporate law at the National University of Ireland, Galway and the Law Society of Ireland, and practiced as a lawyer for 12 years. Following the global financial crisis she moved with her family to Western Australia, where she now lives with her husband and two children.
Praise for Dervla McTiernan
‘As moving as it is fast-paced’—Val McDermid
‘Spectacularly good’—Marian Keyes
‘World class crime fiction’—Kate Forsyth
‘A rare gem’—Sara Foster
‘Outclasses some of the genre’s stalwarts’—Books+Publishing
‘A thrilling novel with lots of satisfying twists and turns’—Readings
‘A brilliant author’—Booktopia
‘An exciting new voice in crime’—Better Reading
A Harper House of Fiction event title
- Lots of early reading copies widely distributed to booksellers, media, festivals and key influencers to build anticipation
- Early buzz and consumer pre-awareness with the release of the second format of The Rúin in late January
- Incredible point-of-sale material including window display packs with posters, standees, bookmarks and shelf-talkers
- National author tour on publication—please contact email@example.com to request an event
- NetGalley and Goodreads campaigns to ensure lots of reviews online prior to publication
- Major publicity coverage including interviews across print, online and on radio
- Creative print marketing campaign in major metropolitan newspapers
- Digital marketing campaign across HCP social channels and beyond
- Better Reading partnership across several weeks reaching their audience of 150,000+ avid readers
- Book trailer with social advertising support
- Suite of digital and social assets available for all retailers.
Reading copy giveaway
Be one of the first to read The Scholar. The first 30 people to email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘The Scholar Giveaway’ in the subject heading will win a reading copy.