2012 CBCA Book of the Year Awards winners announced
The winners of this year’s Children’s Book Council of Australia (CBCA) Book of the Year Awards were announced on 17 August, marking the official launch of Children’s Book Week.
CBCA national president Julie Wells congratulated the winners and honour books, praising the high standard of entries this year. Wells said, however, that the council noted ‘an overall, but not significant, decrease in the number of books entered in this year’s awards’. ‘More graphic novels have been entered and fewer picture books but it is impressive that publishers continue to produce high quality titles when one considers the challenges they face with the industry’s rapid technological changes,’ said Wells, who also noted that there were less nonfiction titles entered in this year’s awards.
The winners and honour books in each of the categories are:
- The Dead I Know (Scot Gardner, A&U)
- A Straight Line to My Heart (Bill Condon, A&U)
- When We Were Two (Robert Newton, Penguin)
- Crow Country (Kate Constable, A&U)
- Nanberry: Black Brother White (Jackie French, Angus & Robertson)
- The Truth About Verity Sparks (Susan Green, Walker Books)
- The Runaway Hug (Nick Bland, illus by Freya Blackwood, Scholastic)
- Come Down Cat! (Sonya Hartnett, illus by Lucia Masciullo, Puffin)
- That’s Not a Daffodil! (Elizabeth Honey, A&U)
Picture Book of the Year
- A Bus Called Heaven (Bob Graham, Walker Books)
- The Dream of the Thylacine (Margaret Wild & Ron Brooks, A&U)
- Flood (Jackie French & Bruce Whatley, Scholastic)
Eve Pownall Award for Information Books
- One Small Island: The Story of Macquarie Island (Alison Lester & Coral Tulloch, Penguin)
- The Little Refugee (Anh & Suzanne Do, illus by Bruce Whatley, A&U)
Crichton Award for Illustration:
- Ben & Duck (Sara Acton, Scholastic).
This year’s Children’s Book Week will run between 18-24 August. The theme for this year’s Children’s Book Week is ‘Champions Read’. For more information, visit the CBCA website here.
To see the titles shortlisted for this year’s CBCA Book of the Year Awards, click here.
Category: Local news