Walkley Book Award 2012 longlist announced
The longlist for the 2012 Walkley Book Award has been announced.
The longlisted titles are:
- Broadcast Wars: The Money, the Ego, the Power Behind Your Remote Control (Michael Bodey, Hachette)
- Mine-Field: The Dark Side of Australia’s Resource Rush (Paul Cleary, Black Inc.)
- The People Smuggler: The True Story of Ali Al Jenabi, the ‘Oskar Schindler of Asia’ (Robin de Crespigny, Viking)
- Sins of the Father: The Untold Story Behind Schapelle Corby’s Ill-Fated Drug Run (Eamonn Duff, A&U)
- Hiroshima Nagasaki (Paul Ham, HarperCollins)
- Children of the Occupation: Japan’s Untold Story (Walter Hamilton, NewSouth)
- A Tragedy in Two Acts: Marcus Einfeld & Teresa Brennan (Fiona Harari, Victory)
- The Sweet Spot: How Australia Made its Own Luck – And Could Now Throw it all Away (Peter Hartcher, Black Inc.)
- The Australian Moment: How We Were Made for These Times (George Megalogenis, Viking).
This year’s judges also commended The Aboriginal Soccer Tribe by John Maynard (Magabala). Anna Krien’s Quarterly Essay 45: Us and Them: On the Importance of Animals (Black Inc.) has been nominated for the Walkley Award for magazine feature writing.
The shortlist for this year’s award will be announced on 8 November. The winner will be announced at the Walkley Awards Gala Ceremony in Canberra on 30 November.
The Walkley Book Award recognises excellence in Australian nonfiction literature and long-form journalism. The longlist was announced along with all the finalists for the 2012 Walkley Awards for Excellence in Journalism. A complete list of the finalists in all categories can be found here.
Category: Local news