Miles Franklin Literary Award 2014 longlist announced
The longlist for this year’s Miles Franklin Literary Award has been announced.
The longlisted titles are:
- The Life and Loves of Lena Gaunt (Tracy Farr, Fremantle Press)
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North (Richard Flanagan, Vintage)
- The Railwayman’s Wife (Ashley Hay, A&U)
Mullumbimby (Melissa Lucashenko, UQP)
- The Night Guest (Fiona McFarlane, Hamish Hamilton)
- Belomor (Nicolas Rothwell, Text)
- Game (Trevor Shearston, A&U)
- My Beautiful Enemy (Cory Taylor, Text)
- Eyrie (Tim Winton, Hamish Hamilton)
- The Swan Book (Alexis Wright, Giramondo)
- All the Birds, Singing (Evie Wyld, Vintage).
The shortlist will be announced on 15 May at the State Library of New South Wales. The winner will be announced on 26 June.
The longlist for the prize, which is worth $60,000, includes two debut novelists, Fiona McFarlane and Tracy Farr, and two past winners, Tim Winton (Breath, Dirt Music, Cloudstreet, Shallows) and Alexis Wright (Carpentaria).
The judging panel comprises State Library of NSW Mitchell librarian Richard Neville; journalist and columnist for the Australian Murray Waldren; Sydney-based bookseller Anna Low; biographer, book historian, publishing editor and Queensland Writers Centre founding chair Craig Munro; and emeritus professor Susan Sheridan.
Category: Local news