NZ Post Children’s Book Awards 2014 finalists announced
The finalists for the 2014 New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards have been announced. The shortlisted titles in each category are:
- Machines and Me: Boats (Catherine Foreman, Scholastic NZ)
- The Boring Book (Vasanti Unka, Puffin)
- The Three Bears … Sort Of (Yvonne Morrison & Donovan Bixley, Scholastic NZ)
- Toucan Can (Juliette MacIver & Sarah Davis, Gecko Press)
- Watch Out, Snail! (Gay Hay & Margaret Tolland, Page Break)
- An Extraordinary Land (Peter Hayden & Rod Morris, HarperCollins NZ)
- Anzac Day: The New Zealand Story (Philippa Werry, New Holland)
- Flight of the Honey Bee (Raymond Huber & Brian Lovelock, Walker Books)
- The Beginner’s Guide to Hunting & Fishing in New Zealand (Paul Adamson, Random House NZ)
- Wearable Wonders (Fifi Colston, Scholastic NZ)
Young Adult Fiction
- A Necklace of Souls (R L Stedman, HarperCollins NZ)
- Bugs (Whiti Hereaka, Huia Publishers)
- Mortal Fire (Elizabeth Knox, Gecko Press)
- Speed Freak (Fleur Beale, Random House NZ)
- When We Wake (Karen Healey, A&U)
- A Winter’s Day in 1939 (Melinda Szymanik, Scholastic NZ)
- Dunger (Joy Cowley, Gecko Press)
- Felix and the Red Rats (James Norcliffe, Random House NZ)
- Project Huia (Des Hunt, Scholastic NZ)
- The Princess and the Foal (Stacy Gregg, Harper Collins NZ).
The winners will be announced at an awards ceremony in Auckland on 23 June.
A new award, the Māori Language award, has been introduced this year to recognise excellence in works published wholly in Te Reo. The winning title is Taka Ki Ro Wai by Keri Kaa and Martin Page (Tania & Martin).
The judging panel for this year’s awards, which attracted more than 120 entries, includes author Barbara Else; cartoonist and graphic novelist Ant Sang; and children’s librarian and blogger Zac Harding.
The New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards are sponsored by New Zealand Post and Creative New Zealand, and are administered by Booksellers New Zealand. More information about the awards can be found on the Booksellers NZ website.
Category: Local news