WA Premier’s Book Awards 2014 winners announced
The winners of this year’s Western Australian Premier’s Book Awards were announced by Premier Colin Barnett on 23 September.
Richard Flanagan was awarded the $25,000 Premier’s Prize for Narrow Road to the Deep North (Vintage). Flanagan’s book also won the $15,000 Fiction Prize. The inaugural $10,000 Western Australian Emerging Writers Award was awarded to Yvette Walker for Letters to the End of Love (UQP).
The winners in each of the categories are:
- Boy, Lost: A Family Memoir (Kristina Olsson, UQP)
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North (Richard Flanagan, Vintage)
- Light Horse Boy (Dianne Wolfer, illus by Brian Simmonds, Fremantle Press)
- The Swap (Jan Ormerod, illus by Andrew Joyner, Little Hare Books)
- Six Different Windows (Paul Hetherington, UWA Publishing)
Young Adult ($10,000)
- Alex as Well (Alyssa Brugman, Text)
Western Australia History Award ($10,000)
- Kerry Stokes: Self-Made Man (Margaret Simons, Viking)
- The Bull, the Moon and the Coronet of Stars (Van Badham, Currency Press)
Digital Narrative ($5000)
- AUTHENTIC IN ALL CAPS (Christy Dena, Universe Creation 101)
People’s Choice ($5000)
- Eyrie (Tim Winton, Hamish Hamilton)
Western Australian Emerging Writers Award
- Letters to the End of Love (Yvette Walker, UQP).
The name of this year’s awards has been changed to reflect the year the awards are held rather than the year the nominated books were published. This year’s awards are for titles publishing in 2013.
To see the titles shortlisted for this year’s awards, click here. To see last year’s winners, click here. For more information about the WA Premier’s Book Awards, visit the State Library of Western Australia website here.
Category: Local news