ABC’s ‘The Book Club’ announces Classic Beach Books list
The ABC’s The Book Club announced the results of its Classic Beach Books poll on 2 December.
The top 10 book are:
- The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough, HarperCollins)
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larsson, Quercus)
- Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn, Orion)
- My Family and Other Animals (Gerald Durrell, Penguin)
- The Secret History (Donna Tartt, Penguin)
- The World According to Garp (John Irving, Black Swan)
- The Shipping News (E Annie Proulx, Fourth Estate)
- The Beach (Alex Garland, Penguin)
- The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini, Bloomsbury)
- Death on the Nile (Agatha Christie, various imprints).
Viewers voted on the top 10 from a list of 52 titles published on The Book Club website. The program said of the classic beach book: ‘You see them everywhere, in caravan parks, holiday houses, milk bars, by the pool and on the beach. Those dog-eared favourites, encrusted with sand, salt and sunscreen, begging to be read time and time again. Those books that you associate with good times—even if they weren’t, technically, good books.’
The results were announced during the show’s final episode for 2014.
Category: Local news