Miles Franklin Literary Award 2015 longlist announced
The longlist for this year’s Miles Franklin Literary Award has been announced.
The longlisted titles are:
- In Certain Circles (Elizabeth Harrower, Text)
- Golden Boys (Sonya Hartnett, Hamish Hamilton)
- The Eye of the Sheep (Sofie Laguna, A&U)
- The Golden Age (Joan London, Vintage)
- The Lost Child (Suzanne McCourt, Text)
- Here Come the Dogs (Omar Musa, Hamish Hamilton)
- When the Night Comes (Favel Parrett, Hachette)
- After Darkness (Christine Piper, A&U)
- Tree Palace (Craig Sherborne, Text)
- Nest (Inga Simpson, Hachette).
The shortlist will be announced at the Australian Booksellers Association Conference at the State Library of Victoria on 18 May. The winner will be announced on 23 June.
The longlist for the $60,000 prize includes three debut novelists: Suzanne McCourt, Omar Musa and Christine Piper.
State Library of NSW Mitchell librarian Richard Neville said on behalf of the judging panel: ‘From a contemporary rap symphony and a 1950s polio clinic love affair, to the suburban father too good to be true and the spiritual journey of an Antarctic supply ship, this year’s Miles Franklin longlist showcases the extraordinary vitality and range of recent Australian fiction.’ Neville added: ‘Interestingly, a number of the novels are written from the child’s perspective, with unravelling families, or families in tension, driving the narratives.’
The judging panel comprises Neville; journalist and columnist for the Australian Murray Waldren; Sydney-based bookseller Lindy Jones; biographer, book historian, publishing editor and Queensland Writers Centre founding chair Craig Munro; and emeritus professor Susan Sheridan.
Category: Local news