Inaugural UWAP Dorothy Hewett Award shortlist announced
The shortlist for UWA Publishing’s inaugural Dorothy Hewett Award for an unpublished manuscript was announced in December.
The shortlisted works, chosen from 136 entries, are:
- ‘Extinctions’ by Josephine Wilson
- ‘Dark Little Ghost’ by Donna Mazza
- ‘Murra Murra’ by Kelly Kent
- ‘Returning to Land’ by Renee Pettitt-Schipp
- ‘Settling’ by Carol Millner
- ‘The Call of Salt’ by Catherine Noske
- ‘The Circle and the Equator’ by Kyra Giorgi
- ‘The Hunter’ by David Cohen
- ‘Dance to his Tune’ by Caroline McKenzie.
The award stipulated that manuscripts ‘should have a connection to Western Australia’ through ‘landscape, people, history, the residence or birthplace of the author, and so on’, and was open to fiction, narrative nonfiction and poetry ‘inclusive of hybrid genres’. The shortlist features five novels, two poetry collections and two short story collections. Seven of the authors are WA residents.
The winner will be announced during the Perth Writers Festival in February. For more information, visit the website here.
Tags: Dorothy Hewett
Category: Local news