Kibble and Dobbie Awards 2016 longlists announced
The 2016 Kibble and Dobbie Literary Awards longlists have been announced.
The seven longlisted titles for the $30,000 Kibble Literary Award for an established Australian female writer are:
- The Women’s Pages (Debra Adelaide, Picador)
- Six Bedrooms (Tegan Bennett Daylight, Vintage)
- A Few Days in the Country: And Other Stories (Elizabeth Harrower, Text)
- A Guide to Berlin (Gail Jones, Vintage)
- Second Half First (Drusilla Modjeska, Knopf)
- The Natural Way of Things (Charlotte Wood, A&U)
- Small Acts of Disappearance (Fiona Wright, Giramondo).
The seven longlisted titles for the $5000 Dobbie Literary Award for a first-time published Australian female writer are:
- Rush Oh! (Shirley Barrett, Picador)
- The Director is the Commander (Anna Broinowski, Viking)
- An Astronaut’s Life (Sonja Dechian, Text)
- An Ordinary Epidemic (Amanda Hickie, MidnightSun)
- Reckoning: A Memoir (Magda Szubanski, Text)
- Salt Creek (Lucy Treloar, Picador)
- Not Just Black and White (Lesley Williams & Tammy Williams, UQP).
Humanities Australia editor Elizabeth Webby, State Library of New South Wales coordinator Rachel Franks and author Rosie Scott comprise the judging panel for the 2016 awards.
Webby said the panel decided to expand the longlist for each award from six to seven entries due to the ‘strength of this year’s entries’. ‘Whether writing memoirs, novels, stories or essays, the longlisted authors present powerful and moving insights into life in Australia in both the past and present,’ said Webby.
The shortlists will be announced on 6 June ahead of the winners’ announcement in July.
The Kibble and Dobbie Literary Awards are open to Australian female writers who have published a book of fiction or nonfiction classifiable as ‘life writing’. Last year’s winners were Joan London’s The Golden Age (Vintage), which was awarded the Kibble, and Ellen van Neerven’s Heat and Light (UQP), which won the Dobbie.
For more information about the awards, click here.
Category: Local news