City of Literature announces Known Bookshops grant recipients
The Melbourne City of Literature office has announced the first recipients of its Known Bookshops grants.
The stores and their projects are:
- Blarney Books in Port Fairy will host spoken-word workshops and an in-shop performance led by spoken-word poet Abraham ‘Abe’ Nouk
- Embiggen Books in Melbourne will partition a section of its store to create a space for ‘Between the Lines’, intimate one-on-one performances, installations and illustration
- The Paperback Bookshop in Melbourne will host performances, which will tell stories about how books bought and read from their shop have played a part in customers’ lives.
- Readings Kids in Carlton will install a new mural by Marc Martin, which will be the ‘centrepiece of the shop’s design and future identity’
- Sun Bookshop in Yarraville will host a hand-drawn card-making workshop for kids with illustrator Anna Blandford
- Hares and Hyena in Fitzroy will run a series of events to celebrate its 25th anniversary.
The fund provided up to $2000 to the recipients to go toward artist fees, promotional material and program expenses. Regional bookshops received up to $2500 to help subsidise travel and accommodation costs.
The office has no plans to offer the fund again. For more information, click here.