Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction 2017 longlist announced
The longlist for the 2017 Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction, previously known as the Orange Prize for Fiction, has been announced.
The longlisted titles are:
- Stay With Me (Ayobami Adebayo, Canongate)
- The Power (Naomi Alderman, Viking)
- Hag-Seed (Margaret Atwood, Hogarth Press)
- Little Deaths (Emma Flint, Picador)
- The Mare (Mary Gaitskill, Serpent’s Tail)
- The Dark Circle (Linda Grant, Orbit)
- The Lesser Bohemians (Eimear McBride, Text)
- Midwinter (Fiona Melrose, Little, Brown)
- The Sport of Kings (C E Morgan, Fourth Estate)
- The Woman Next Door (Yewande Omotoso, Chatto & Windus)
- The Lonely Hearts Hotel (Heather O’Neill, Quercus)
- The Essex Serpent (Sarah Perry, Serpent’s Tail)
- Barkskins (Annie Proulx, Fourth Estate)
- First Love (Gwendoline Riley, Granta)
- Do Not Say We Have Nothing (Madeleine Thien, Granta)
- The Gustav Sonata (Rose Tremain, Vintage).
Chair of judges Tessa Ross described the longlist as ‘a great showcase for the very best contemporary women’s fiction’. ‘We hope that it will inspire readers everywhere,’ she said.
A shortlist of six will be chosen from the longlist of 16. The winner will be announced at an awards ceremony in London on 7 June 2017.
The £30,000 (A$48,233) prize was established in 1996 and is presented annually to the best novel of the year written in English by a woman.
Category: International news