2017 Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction shortlist announced
The shortlist for the 2017 Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction has been announced.
The six shortlisted titles are:
- Stay with Me (Ayobami Adebayo, Canongate)
- The Power (Naomi Alderman, Viking)
- The Dark Circle (Linda Grant, Orbit)
- The Sport of Kings (C E Morgan, Fourth Estate)
- First Love (Gwendoline Riley, Granta)
- Do Not Say We Have Nothing (Madeleine Thien, Granta)
The shortlist was chosen from a longlist announced in March, and includes one debut (Stay with Me) and one previous winner of the prize (Linda Grant).
Chair of judges Tessa Ross said the year has ‘proved exceptional for writing of both quality and originality’. ‘It was therefore quite a challenge to whittle this fantastic longlist of sixteen books down to only six,’ said Ross. ‘These were the six novels that stayed with all of us well beyond the final page.’
The winner of the £30,000 (A$49,270) prize, which is presented annually to the best novel written in English by a woman, will be announced on 7 June.
For more information about the shortlist, visit the award’s website here.
Category: International news