Vogel Award 2017 shortlist announced
The shortlist has been announced for the 2017 Australian/Vogel’s Literary Award for an unpublished manuscript by a writer under the age of 35.
The five titles on this year’s shortlist, which includes one nonfiction title and four novels, are:
- Richard James for his nonfiction book Australia’s War With France: The Campaign is Syria and Lebanon, 1941
- Marija Pericic for The Lost Papers, ‘an intriguing exploration of Czech writer Franz Kafka’
- David Allan-Petale for Locust Summer, ‘a sharp meditation on the separation of life from land’
- Jarrah Dundler’s ‘Tryst’, a ‘coming of age story that includes an Australian soldier’
- Hayley Lawrence’s ‘Inside the Tiger’, in which ‘a late teens girl befriends an Australian drug mule awaiting execution in Thailand’.
The winner will be announced at a ceremony in Sydney on 26 April. The winner will receive $20,000, with the winning title to be published by Allen & Unwin and available in stores immediately.
Last year’s winner was Katherine Brabon for her novel The Memory Artist.
Category: Local news