Booksellers prepare for Love Your Bookshop Day
Preparations are underway for the Australian Booksellers Association’s (ABA) Love Your Bookshop Day this Saturday 12 August, with stores around the country hosting events and promotions.
More than 80 stores have registered details about their in-store events on the Love Your Bookshop Day website.
The ABA is promoting Love Your Bookshop Day on dedicated Facebook and Instagram pages, and on its Twitter account, with the #loveyourbookshop hashtag. Customers are invited to share why they think bookshops are special using the tag #whyIlovemybookshop, joining a number of well-known Australian authors who are featured across social media.
The ABA has also put together a range of Love Your Bookshop Day material, including bookmarks, posters and balloons.
Some highlights from participating stores include:
- A food styling photography workshop with author Amie Harper at Torquay Bookshop in Victoria, as well as a young writers competition, an activity station for kids and celebrity booksellers Favel Parrett and Mark Smith.
- Staff member and illustrator Robin Tatlow-Lord will be drawing portraits of kids and their favourite books at Mostly Books in Adelaide, which will also be featuring a young writers group and giveaways.
- Avid Reader in Brisbane will host a UQP champagne breakfast and an indie publishing showcase around lunchtime, as well as running design-a-tea-towel and flash fiction competitions and an author advice booth.
- Dillons Norwood in Adelaide is inviting (kid-friendly, house-trained) dogs into the store for a dog selfie competition, as well as offering face painting and giveaways.
- Paperbird in Fremantle is inviting favourite pets to meet a line-up of local authors and illustrators, including James Foley, Kylie Howarth, Samantha Hughes, Raewyn Caisley, Meg McKinley, Nadia King, Liliana Stafford, Catherine Carvell and Norman Jorgenson.
- Fullers Bookshop in Tasmania is encouraging customers to get creative, with activities including write your own shelf talker, re-design the cover of your favourite book, and design a 91-Storey Treehouse.
- Riverbend Bookshop in Brisbane is running a bookmark design competition. The winning designs will be printed as limited-edition Riverbend bookmarks, and the designers will receive a $100 book voucher.
- The Bookshop at Queenscliff in Victoria will begin the day with a Skype conversation with LA-based children’s author Mick Wannenmacher to talk about his upcoming book series, ‘Mighty Myths!’
As previously reported by Books+Publishing, the ABA has rebranded its annual National Bookshop Day as Love Your Bookshop Day (LYBD).
Category: Local news