Readings announces 2017 New Australian Fiction Award shortlist
Readings has announced the shortlist for its 2017 New Australian Fiction Award.
The shortlisted titles are:
- The Windy Season (Sam Carmody, A&U)
- Australia Day (Melanie Cheng, Text)
- Jean Harley Was Here (Heather Taylor Johnson, UQP)
- The Good People (Hannah Kent, Picador)
- The Lost Pages (Marija Peričić, A&U)
- From the Wreck (Jane Rawson, Transit Lounge).
The judges are Annie Condon from Readings Hawthorn, Gabrielle Williams from Readings Malvern, Marie Matteson from Readings Carlton and schools and libraries liaison Ann le Lievre. Readings managing director Mark Rubbo and author Christos Tsiolkas will join the panel to select the winner.
The award, worth $3000, recognises ‘exciting and exceptional new contributions to local literature’ and is open to ‘first or second published works of fiction by Australian authors’. Previous winners are Ceridwen Dovey’s Only the Animals (Hamish Hamilton), Stephanie Bishop’s The Other Side of the World (Hachette) and Zoë Morrison’s Music and Freedom (Vintage).
The winner will be announced in late October. For more information, click here.
Category: Local news