Australian bestsellers in October: Harper tops fiction, Barnes number two in nonfiction
Jane Harper’s follow-up novel Force of Nature is at the top of the Australian fiction bestsellers chart in October after debuting in first place in September. Harper’s first novel The Dry is in third place, down from second in September.
A number of big-name authors have new novels debuting in the top 10, led by Judy Nunn’s Sanctuary in second place and Richard Flanagan’s First Person in fourth. Other new releases to chart are Tony Park’s The Cull (eighth) and Graeme Simsion and Anne Buist’s Two Steps Forward (10th).
Josephine Wilson’s Extinctions also made the top 10 chart for the second month in a row after winning the Miles Franklin Literary Award in September.
Jimmy Barnes’ Working Class Man, the second instalment in the musician’s memoir, has debuted in the Australian nonfiction bestsellers chart in October in second place. The first instalment, Working Class Boy, sits in fifth place. Scott Pape’s The Barefoot Investor, which has been updated for Christmas, has again taken the top spot.
New titles in the nonfiction chart include a mixture of health and wellbeing titles and sports memoirs: Maggie’s Recipe for Life by Maggie Beer and Alzheimer’s researcher Ralph Martins; Keeping it Off by Michelle Bridges; The Things That Make Us by recently retired AFL star Nick Riewoldt; Climbing the Mountain by racing driver Allan Moffat; and Super Green Simple and Lean by Maha Koraiem and Sally Obermeder.
Australian fiction bestsellers: October
- Force of Nature (Jane Harper, Macmillan)
- Sanctuary (Judy Nunn, William Heinemann)
- The Dry (Jane Harper, Pan)
- First Person (Richard Flanagan, Knopf)
- Big Little Lies regular and TV tie-in editions (Liane Moriarty, Pan)
- Truly Madly Guilty (Liane Moriarty, Pan)
- The Husband’s Secret (Liane Moriarty, Pan)
- The Cull (Tony Park, Macmillan)
- Extinctions (Josephine Wilson, UWA Publishing)
- Two Steps Forward (Graeme Simsion & Anne Buist, Text Publishing)
Australian nonfiction bestsellers: October
- The Barefoot Investor (Scott Pape, John Wiley)
- Working Class Man (Jimmy Barnes, HarperCollins)
- Maggie’s Recipe for Life (Maggie Beer & Ralph Martins, Simon & Schuster)
- Low Carb, Healthy Fat (Pete Evans, Plum)
- Working Class Boy (Jimmy Barnes, HarperCollins)
- Keeping it Off (Michelle Bridges, Macmillan)
- The Things That Make Us (Nick Riewoldt, Allen & Unwin)
- Climbing the Mountain (Allan Moffat, Allen & Unwin)
- Super Green Simple and Lean (Maha Koraiem & Sally Obermeder, Allen & Unwin)
- Billy Slater: Autobiography (Billy Slater, Ebury)
© Nielsen BookScan 2017
Period covered: 1 to 28 October 2017
Data supplied by Nielsen BookScan’s book sales monitoring system from 1000 retailers nationwide
Category: Local news