KOALAs 2017 winners announced
The winners of the 2017 Kids Own Australian Literature Awards (KOALAs), the children’s choice book awards for New South Wales, have been announced.
The winners and honour books in each category are:
- Do Not Open This Book (Andy Lee, illus by Heath McKenzie, Lake Press)
- Pig the Winner (Aaron Blabey, Scholastic)
- What Do They Do with All The Poo from All The Animals at the Zoo? (Anh Do, illus by Laura Wood, Scholastic)
Fiction for younger readers
- The Bad Guys Episode 2: Mission Unpluckable (Aaron Blabey, Scholastic)
- WeirDo: Mega Weird! (Anh Do, illus by Jules Faber, Scholastic)
- You Choose: Alien Invaders from beyond the Stars (George Ivanoff, Random House)
Fiction for older readers
- The 78-Storey Treehouse (Andy Griffiths, illus by Terry Denton, Pan)
- Exploding Endings: Painted Dogs and Doom Cakes (Tim Harris, Harbour Publishing)
- My Dead Bunny (Sigi Cohen, illus by James Foley, Walker Books)
Fiction for years 7-9
- Pennies for Hitler (Jackie French, HarperCollins)
- Carnage (Michael Adams, Scholastic)
- Cry Blue Murder (Kim Kane & Marion Roberts, UQP).
The awards were announced at North Rocks Public School in Sydney on 9 November. Winners are selected from the Reading & Enjoying Australian Literature (REAL) Awards shortlist, which also acts as a shortlist for the children’s choice awards in the Australian Capital Territory (COOL Awards), Victoria (YABBAs) and the Northern Territory (KROC Awards).
For more information about the KOALAs, visit the website here.