Dymocks Subiaco wins top award at Dymocks conference
Dymocks Subiaco in Perth has won the Chairman’s Award for Retail Excellence at the 2018 Dymocks national conference, which was held on the Gold Coast from 22-24 July.
Dymocks managing director Steve Cox praised owner Tim Thomas, who took over the business less than a year ago, and his staff for ‘tastefully refurbishing the space, applying a creative approach to marketing and visual merchandising, and offering the best customer experience possible’.
‘Tim and the dedicated team at Subiaco demonstrate a passion for inspiring book lovers, engaging local businesses and authors within the community, and a true understanding of the local customer. They have continually impressed us over the last twelve months with outstanding customer feedback, community outreach and continued sales growth. It’s a delight to see a relatively new franchise owner deliver such impressive results,’ said Cox.
Penguin Random House was named publisher of the year, NewSouth Books was named specialist supplier of the year, and the book of the year went to Nevermoor by Jessica Townsend (Lothian).
The other award winners were:
- Excellence in bookselling: Dymocks Glenelg
- Excellence in visual merchandising: Dymocks Melbourne
- Booklover Champions: Dymocks Chadstone
- Individual Excellence in Bookselling: Tori D’Cruz (Dymocks Adelaide)
- Dymocks Children’s Charities Award for fundraising store of the year: Dymocks Brisbane
- Excellence in advertising and marketing: Dymocks Hobart
- Excellence in non-book ranging: Dymocks Canberra
Over 150 franchise owners, staff and suppliers attended the awards ceremony and gala dinner on 24 July.
(Image: Tim Thomas, Dymocks Subiaco.)
Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Dymocks Adelaide won the excellence in bookselling award, rather than Dymocks Glenelg. The editors apologise for this error.