Waverley Library Award 2018 longlist announced
The longlist for the 2018 Waverley Library Award for Literature, known as ‘the Nib’, has been announced.
The longlisted titles are:
- Relatively Famous (Roger Averill, Transit Lounge)
- The Trauma Cleaner: One Woman’s Extraordinary Life in Death, Decay and Disaster (Sarah Krasnostein, Text)
- The Dead Still Cry Out (Helen Lewis, Text)
- Korea: Where the American Century Began (Michael Pembroke, Hardie Grant)
- A Life Underwater (Charlie Veron, Viking)
- Eggshell Skull (Bri Lee, A&U)
- A Scandal in Bohemia (Gideon Haigh, Hamish Hamilton)
- The Book of Dirt (Bram Presser, Text)
- Call of the Reed Warbler (Charles Massy, UQP)
- The Library: A Catalogue of Wonders (Stuart Kells, Text)
- The Maddest Place on Earth (Jill Giese, Australian Scholarly Publishing)
- Mirror Sydney (Vanessa Berry, Giramondo)
- The Suitcase Baby (Tanya Bretherton, Hachette)
- The Wasp and the Orchid (Danielle Clode, Picador)
- Girls at the Piano (Virginia Lloyd, A&U)
- Small Wrongs: How we really say sorry in love, life and law (Kate Rossmanith, Hardie Grant)
- Australian Gypsies: Their secret history (Mandy Sayer, NewSouth)
- The Enigmatic Mr Deakin (Judith Brett, Text)
- Charlatan (Catherine Jinks, Vintage)
- The Master Gardener (Andrew Lemon, Hardie Grant).
A shortlist will be announced on 17 September, ahead of the winners’ announcement on 22 November at an event hosted by author Richard Glover.
The winner will receive a cash prize of $20,000, while the authors of the shortlisted books will each receive the Alex Buzo Shortlist Prize of $1000.
The Waverley Library Award was established in 2002 to recognise the role of research in fiction and nonfiction.
Last year’s award was presented to Kate Cole-Adams for her book Anaesthesia: The Gift of Oblivion and the Mystery of Consciousness (Text).
For more information about the award, visit the Waverley Library website.