Readings Children’s Book Prize 2019 shortlist announced
The shortlist for the Readings Children’s Book Prize for 2019 has been announced.
The shortlisted titles are:
- Ice Wolves: Elementals Book One (Amie Kaufman, HarperCollins)
- The Orchard Underground (Mat Larkin, Hardie Grant Egmont)
- Real Pigeons Fight Crime (Andrew McDonald, illus by Ben Wood, Hardie Grant Egmont)
- Black Cockatoo (Carl Merrison & Hakea Hustler, Magabala)
- The Peacock Detectives (Carly Nugent, Text)
- Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt (Rhiannon Williams, Hardie Grant Egmont).
The shortlist was chosen by Readings children’s specialists Leanne Hall, Pilgrim Hodgson, Freya Howarth, and Bianca Looney. Author Zana Fraillon will join the panel to choose the winner.
In a blog post, Howarth said the shortlist is ‘brimming with action-packed adventure, compelling mysteries, zany humour, and complex human drama. Many of these stories are about characters who speak out in the face of forces that seem beyond their control, proving that with curiosity and bravery, it is possible to meet the challenges of a complex world and change it for the better’.
The Readings Children’s Book Prize ‘celebrates books that families love reading together, and aims to raise the profile of debut and on-the-rise Australian authors’. It only considers books by authors who have published no more that three children’s books for five- to 12-year-olds.
The winner will be announced on the Readings website in late April, and will receive prize money of $3000.
For more information about the prize and the shortlisted titles, see the Readings website.