PEN America Literary Awards 2019 winners announced
In the US, PEN America has announced the winners of its 2019 Literary Awards.
Among the award winners are:
PEN/Jean Stein Book Award
- Friday Black (Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah, riverrun)
PEN/Robert W Bingham Prize for Debut Short Story Collection
- Bring Out the Dog (Will Mackin, Random House)
PEN Open Book Award (for an exceptional work of literature by an author of colour)
- Heads of the Colored People (Nafissa Thompson-Spires, Chatto & Windus)
PEN Translation Prize
- Love (Hanne Ørstavik, trans by Martin Aitken, Archipelago)
PEN/Diamonstein-Spielvogel Award for the Art of the Essay
- Against Memoir (Michelle Tea, Feminist Press)
PEN/Bograd Weld Prize for Biography
- Looking for Lorraine: The Radiant and Radical Life of Lorraine Hansberry (Imani Perry, Beacon Press)
PEN/ESPN Award for Literary Sports Writing
- The Circuit: A Tennis Odyssey (Rowan Ricardo Phillips, Farrar, Straus and Giroux).
To view the full list of category award winners, click here.
The winners were announced at the 2019 PEN America Literary Awards Ceremony in New York City on 26 February.
Mexican-American novelist Sandra Cisneros received the PEN/Nabokov Award for Achievement in International Literature, while career achievement awards were also handed out for editing, sports writing, poetry and theatre.
Tags: PEN America