Man Booker International 2019 longlist announced
The longlist for the 2019 Man Booker International Prize for translated fiction has been announced.
The 13 longlisted titles are:
- Celestial Bodies (Jokha Alharthi, trans by Marilyn Booth, Sandstone Press)
- Love in the New Millennium (Can Xue, trans by Annelise Finegan Wasmoen, Yale University Press)
- The Years (Annie Ernaux, trans by Alison L Strayer, Seven Stories)
- At Dusk (Hwang Sok-yong, trans by Sora Kim-Russell, Scribe)
- Jokes for the Gunmen (Mazen Maarouf, trans by Jonathan Wright, Granta)
- Four Soldiers (Hubert Mingarelli, trans by Sam Taylor, Portobello)
- The Pine Islands (Marion Poschmann, trans by Jen Calleja, Serpent’s Tail)
- Mouthful of Birds (Samanta Schweblin, trans by Megan McDowell, Oneworld)
- The Faculty of Dreams (Sara Stridsberg, trans by Deborah Bragan-Turner, MacLehose Press)
- Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead (Olga Tokarczuk, trans by Antonia Lloyd-Jones, Text)
- The Shape of the Ruins (Juan Gabriel Vásquez, trans by Anne McLean, MacLehose Press)
- The Death of Murat Idrissi (Tommy Wieringa, trans by Sam Garrett, Scribe)
- The Remainder (Alia Trabucco Zeran, trans by Sophie Hughes, And Other Stories).
Australian independent publisher Scribe has two titles on the longlist—Dutch author Tommy Wieringa’s The Death of Murat Idrissi and Korean writer Hwang Sok-yong’s At Dusk—while Text has one longlisted title, Polish writer and previous winner Olga Tokarczuk‘s Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead.
The £50,000 (A$93,790) prize will be shared equally between the winning writer and translator, and each shortlisted author and translator will also receive £1000 (A$1880).
The shortlist will be announced on 9 April, and winner on 21 May.
Last week, the Man Booker International Prize announced Nielsen Book statistics showing that UK sales of translated fiction grew by 5.5% in 2018. For more information about the prize, see the Man Booker website.
Category: International news