‘Boy Swallows Universe’ wins Book of the Year at 2019 Indie Book Awards
Trent Dalton’s debut novel Boy Swallows Universe (HarperCollins) has been named Book of the Year at the 2019 Indie Book Awards, presented at the Leading Edge Books Conference in Adelaide on 18 March.
The winning titles in each category are:
- Bridge of Clay (Markus Zusak, Picador)
- The Arsonist (Chloe Hooper, Hamish Hamilton)
- Boy Swallows Universe (Trent Dalton, HarperCollins)
- A Song Only I Can Hear (Barry Jonsberg, A&U)
- Lenny’s Book of Everything (Karen Foxlee, A&U)
- Marcia Langton: Welcome to Country (Marcia Langton, Hardie Grant Travel).
The Indie Book Awards are chosen by independent booksellers to reward and promote excellence in Australian writing. Panels of judges comprising booksellers and readers chose the winners in the six categories, and the overall Indie Book of the Year was voted on by independent booksellers from Australia, who are also members of Leading Edge Books.
The overall winner receives $1000 and the category winners each receive $1000. The winners were chosen from a shortlist announced in January.
For more information about the awards, visit the website here.