Women’s Prize for Fiction 2019 shortlist announced
In the UK, the shortlist for the 2019 Women’s Prize for Fiction has been announced.
The six shortlisted titles are:
- The Silence of the Girls (Pat Barker, Hamish Hamilton)
- My Sister, the Serial Killer (Oyinkan Braithwaite, Atlantic)
- Milkman (Anna Burns, Faber)
- Ordinary People (Diana Evans, Vintage)
- An American Marriage (Tayari Jones, Vintage)
- Circe (Madeline Miller, Bloomsbury).
Selected from a longlist of 16 titles, the shortlist features one debut author, Oyinkan Braithwaite, as well as 2012 Orange Prize winner Madeline Miller, 2018 Man Booker Prize winner Anna Burns, and 2019 Folio Prize shortlisted author Diana Evans.
The winner of the £30,000 (A$55,030) prize, which is presented annually to the best novel written in English by a woman, will be announced on 5 June.
As previously reported by Books+Publishing, British-Pakistani author Kamila Shamsie won last year’s Women’s Prize for Fiction for her novel Home Fire (Bloomsbury).
For more information about the prize and this year’s shortlisted titles, see the website.
Category: International news