Peter Carey Short Story Award 2019 longlist announced
The longlist for the 2019 Peter Carey Short Story Award has been announced.
The 14 longlisted stories are:
- ‘Elisabeth Kubler Ross’ (Paige Clark)
- ‘Mother’s Arbour’ (Jessica Andretta)
- ‘Beasley’s Corner’ (Jessica Andretta)
- ‘Orion Always Comes up Sideways’ (Isabelle Miller)
- ‘Place, Lost’ (Laura Elvery)
- ‘The Jacket’ (Mel Hall)
- ‘Sketch in Room 16, Ward 4 East’ (Jocelyn Richardson)
- ‘If there are Zebra Finches’ (Claire Aman)
- ‘Joy Riders’ (Chloe Wilson)
- ‘Long Road Becoming’ (Mykaela Saunders)
- ‘All we need to see’ (Michelle Wright)
- ‘Let’s talk Trojan Bees’ (Alex Cothren)
- ‘Call him Al’ (Elizabeth Flux)
- ‘Better than Bellerophon’ (Smith Randal).
Organised by the Moorabool Shire Council, the award is for stories between 2000–3000 words, and is open to all Australian residents. The winner receives $1000 and the runner-up receives $500 in prize money, with both stories to be published in the Spring 2019 edition of Meanjin.
The winner and runner-up will be announced at a ceremony at the Lerderderg Library on 1 June, in conjunction with the Moorabool Young Writers’ Awards.
For more information, see the website.