Ngaio Marsh Award 2019 longlist announced
The longlist for this year’s Ngaio Marsh Award for New Zealand crime fiction has been announced, featuring a work begun by Ngaio Marsh herself during the Second World War.
Marsh’s Money in the Morgue is an unfinished Inspector Alleyn mystery set during World War II, which was completed by Stella Duffy and published in 2018 (Marsh died in 1982).
The longlist for best crime novel is:
- No One Can Hear You (Nikki Crutchley, Oak House Press)
- Cassie Clark: Outlaw (Brian Falkner, Onetree House)
- This Mortal Boy (Fiona Kidman, RHNZ Vintage)
- Money In The Morgue (Ngaio Marsh & Stella Duffy, HarperCollins)
- The Quaker (Liam Mcilvanney, HarperCollins)
- Call Me Evie (J P Pomare, Hachette)
- The Stakes (Ben Sanders, A&U)
- Make A Hard Fist (Tina Shaw, Onetree House)
- The Vanishing Act (Jen Shieff, Mary Egan Publishing)
- Rain Fall (Ella West, A&U).
Finalists will be announced on 2 August, along with finalists for best first novel and best nonfiction.
The winners will be announced at a WORD Christchurch event on 14 September.