Rachel Funari Prize for Fiction 2019 shortlist announced
Lip magazine has announced the shortlist for the 2019 Rachel Funari Prize for Fiction.
The shortlisted stories are:
- ‘Inheritance’ by Elizabeth Flux
- ‘How to Cook Pho’ by Emily Dang
- ‘The Body Remembers’ by Rae White
- ‘Three China Cups’ by A Z Pascoe
- ‘The Coop’ by Kerrin O’Sullivan
- ‘For Heaven’s Sake’ by Catherine McGraffin
- ‘Stardust’ by Jennifer Hao
- ‘Lost Things in the Sea’ by Emma Hollis
- ‘Malta’ by Laura Elizabeth Woollett
- ‘Limpet Teeth’ by Jane O’Sullivan.
The prize recognises unpublished and unperformed fiction up to 2000 words, and is open to women, female-identifying and non-binary writers. Now in its seventh year, the award honours of Lip’s late founding editor, Rachel Funari, and her contribution to the arts.
This year’s theme is ‘fragments’, and the winner will be selected by Lip‘s editors along with judges Alison Evans, Danielle Binks and Melanie Joosten.
The winner receives a $1000 cash prize, second place wins $500 and the third place receives $250, with all three winning a 12-month subscription to Kill Your Darlings. The winner and runners-up will be announced at the Emerging Writers’ Festival in Melbourne on 25 June.
Last year’s winner was Liz Allan for her story ‘Our Voices, Fierce’.
For more information, visit the website here.