Overland VU Short Story Prize 2019 shortlist announced
The shortlist for the 2019 Overland Victoria University (VU) Short Story Prize for new writers has been announced.
The shortlisted stories are:
- ‘Quinn’ by Claire Aman
- ‘Starving in the land of plenty’ by Anne Casey
- ‘Water bodies’ by Joyce Chew
- ‘The cure for sleep’ by Peter Eade
- ‘A brief history of petroleum’ and ‘Fruit flies’ by Laura Elvery
- ‘Eulogy example: search ALL’ by Melanie Napthine
- ‘Scales’ by Rebecca Slater
- ‘The installation’ by Ashleigh Synnott
- ‘Blacks’ by Beth Thompson
- ‘Mother me’ by Lara Saunders
- ‘Don’t tell me’ by Jack Vening
- ‘Out to sea’ by Angella Whitton
- ‘We safe land smooth fly THANK GOD’ by Grace Yee.
The winner will receive $6000, while two runners-up will receive $1000 each. Writers Pip Adam, Michelle Aung Thin, Steven Amsterdam and Enza Gandolfo are the judges for this year’s prize.
All three winning entries, along with the judges’ notes, will be published in the spring issue of Overland.
To learn more about the prize and shortlisted authors, click here.
Category: Local news