Deakin University Nonfiction Prize shortlist announced
Deakin University and Express Media have announced the shortlist for the 2019 Deakin University Nonfiction Prize.
The shortlisted writers and their works are:
- Kat Capel, for ‘work & love’
- Olivia De Zilva, for ‘Let’s Eat 食飯!’
- Oliver Reeson, for ‘Someone who is sensitive to pain’
- Jonno Revanche, for ‘Friends of Charlene: The saintlike engineering of Kylie Minogue’s creative catalogue, anti-effeminate respectability, and defacto metropolis maternity princesses’
- Danielle Scrimshaw, for ‘Be Gay, Do Crime: Or, The Ballad of Catherine and Ellen’
- Jim Thomas, for ‘15,000 Roentgen’
- Dženana Vucic, for ‘A Teleology of Folding, and of Dying’
- Yen-Rong Wong, ‘I can’t talk to my mum about sex’.
The winner, who will be announced at the Word for Word festival in Geelong on 15 November, receives $3000 and an editorial mentorship with Black Inc. managing editor Julia Carlomagno.
All shortlisted writers receive a two-day masterclass with writers Ruby Hamad and Bridget Caldwell, detailed feedback from the judging panel, and a book pack.
As previously reported by Books+Publishing, Express Media partnered with Deakin University to present the 2019 Nonfiction Prize for Young Writers, after the prize began as a joint venture between Scribe and Express Media in 2013.
Category: Local news