Baillie Gifford Prize for Nonfiction 2019 shortlist announced
In the UK, the shortlist for this year’s Baillie Gifford Prize for Nonfiction, formerly the Samuel Johnson Prize, has been announced.
The six shortlisted titles are:
- Furious Hours: Murder, fraud and the last trial of Harper Lee (Casey Cep, William Heinemann)
- On Chapel Sands: My mother and other missing persons (Laura Cumming, Chatto & Windus)
- The Lives of Lucian Freud: Youth 1922-1968 (William Feaver, Bloomsbury)
- Maoism: A global history (Julia Lovell, Vintage)
- Guest House for Young Widows: Among the women of ISIS (Azadeh Moaveni, Scribe)
- The Five: The untold lives of the women killed by Jack the Ripper (Hallie Rubenhold, Doubleday).
The winner of the £50,000 (A$90,820) prize—an increase of £20,000 ($A36, 370) on last year—will be announced on 19 November.
All works of nonfiction by authors of any nationality are eligible for the award, which is the richest prize for nonfiction in the UK.
For more information about the prize, see the website.