UWAP announces 2020 Dorothy Hewett Award shortlist
In December, UWA Publishing announced the shortlist for the 2020 Dorothy Hewett Award for an unpublished manuscript.
The shortlisted authors and their works are:
- ‘The Sorry Tale of the Mignonette’ by Angela Gardner (poetry)
- ‘K. the Interpreter’ by Martin Kovan (fiction)
- ‘Fish Work’ by Caitlin Maling (poetry)
- ‘Children of Lovers’ by Kylie Mirmohamadi (fiction)
- ‘The Rabbit Paperweight’ by Robin Riedstra (fiction)
- ‘Where the Fruit Falls’ by Karen Wyld (fiction).
The shortlist was chosen from 200 entries. The winner, who will be announced on 21 February 2020, will receive $10,000 and a publishing contract with UWA Publishing.
This year’s judging panel includes UWA Publishing director Terri-ann White, UWA academic Elfie Shiosaki, and author and contributing editor of the Sydney Review of Books James Ley. Tasmanian author Angela Rockel won the 2019 award for her manuscript ‘Rogue Intensities’.
The university is currently reconsidering the publishing model of the press, with a design workshop planned for the first quarter of 2020 to decide on a future model.
For more information, see the UWA Publishing website.