Readings Children’s Book Prize 2020 shortlist announced
The shortlist for the Readings Children’s Book Prize for 2020 has been announced.
The shortlisted titles are:
- Pie in the Sky (Remy Lai, Walker Books)
- The Dog Runner (Bren MacDibble, A&U)
- Wombat, Mudlark, and Other Stories (Helen Milroy, Fremantle Press)
- Sherlock Bones & the Natural History Mystery (Renée Treml, A&U)
- The Girl, the Cat and the Navigator (Matilda Woods, Scholastic)
- The Secrets of Magnolia Moon (Edwina Wyatt, illus by Katherine Quinn, Walker Books).
The shortlist was chosen by Readings children’s specialists Athina Clarke (Readings Malvern), Daniella Robertson (Readings Malvern), Fiona Hardy (Readings Doncaster) and Kim Gruschow (Readings St Kilda). Author Nova Weetman will join the panel to choose the winner.
In a blog post, Gruschow said the shortlist ‘reflects the rich array of children’s publishing in Australia: there is a book for every child here’.
The Readings Children’s Book Prize ‘celebrates books that families love reading together, and aims to raise the profile of debut and on-the-rise Australian authors’. It only considers books by authors who have published no more that three children’s books for five- to 12-year-olds.
The winner will be announced in late April, and will receive prize money of $3000.
For more information about the prize, see the Readings website.