Stella Prize 2020 shortlist announced
The shortlist for the 2020 Stella Prize, worth $50,000, has been announced.
The shortlisted titles are:
- See What You Made Me Do (Jess Hill, Black Inc.)
- Diving into Glass (Caro Llewellyn, Hamish Hamilton)
- There was Still Love (Favel Parrett, Hachette)
- Here Until August (Josephine Rowe, Black Inc.)
- The Yield (Tara June Winch, Hamish Hamilton)
- The Weekend (Charlotte Wood, A&U).
The shortlist was chosen from a longlist announced in February.
Chair of judges and Stella Prize co-founder Louise Swinn said the shortlist includes ‘authors who are household names alongside some we are just getting acquainted with’.
‘The six books on this year’s shortlist are all outward-looking, and they tell stories—of illness, family life, friendship, domestic abuse, and more—in remarkable ways,’ said Swinn.
This year’s prize is judged by Swinn, editor Zoya Patel, poet Leni Shilton, and journalists Monica Attard and Jack Latimore.
The winner of the prize will be announced at a ceremony in Sydney on 8 April.
The Stella Prize is presented to the best work of fiction or nonfiction by an Australian woman published in the previous calendar year. Vicki Laveau-Harvie won the 2019 prize for her memoir The Erratics (Fourth Estate).