‘Most’ Dymocks stores remain open as chain announces Top 101
While a small number of Dymocks stores have decided to close their shopfronts during the Covid-19 outbreak, the national bookselling chain says that most stores remain open at present.
Books+Publishing understands that Dymocks stores in Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra, Geelong and Carindale have closed but that all others remain open at the time of writing. Dymocks confirmed the decision to continue to trade is up to the individual franchise owners.
Dymocks also announced the results of its annual Top 101 poll, with Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine (Gail Honeyman) and The Book Thief (Markus Zusak) being named joint winners. Dymocks said the tie for first place was the first in 13 years.
The list, as voted by readers, included a record 61 books written by women (up from 54 last year) and included Dymocks Book of the Year Where the Crawdads Sing (Delia Owens) in the Top 10.
The list also included 37 Australian books, four of them in the top 10. The top 10 books are:
1. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine (Gail Honeyman, HarperCollins) & The Book Thief (Markus Zusak, Picador)
3. Boy Swallows Universe (Trent Dalton, Fourth Estate)
4. All the Light We Cannot See (Anthony Doerr, Fourth Estate)
5. The Dry (Jane Harper, Pan)
6. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (J K Rowling, Bloomsbury)
7. The Tattooist of Auschwitz (Heather Morris, Echo)
8. Where the Crawdads Sing (Delia Owens, Corsair)
9. Becoming (Michelle Obama, Viking)
10. ‘The Lord of the Rings’ trilogy (J R R Tolkien, HarperCollins)
To view the full list of 101 books, see the Dymocks website.