Shortlist for £10,000 Ondaatje Prize announced
The 2020 shortlist for the £10,000 (A$19,520) Royal Society of Literature Ondaatje Prize has been announced.
The annual award recognises books ‘of the highest literary merit—fiction, nonfiction or poetry—which best evokes the spirit of a place’.
The six shortlisted titles are:
- Surge (Jay Bernard, Chatto & Windus)
- Small Days and Nights (Tishani Doshi, Bloomsbury Circus)
- Underland (Robert Macfarlane, Hamish Hamilton)
- A Portable Paradise (Roger Robinson, Peepal Tree Press)
- 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World (Elif Shafak, Viking)
- A Small Silence (Jumoke Verissimo, Cassava Republic).
This year’s judging panel for the prize includes Australian author Evie Wyld, alongside Peter Frankopan and Pascale Petit.
The winning title will be announced on 4 May 2020.