Miles Franklin Literary Award 2020 longlist announced
The longlist for the 2020 Miles Franklin Literary Award, worth $60,000, has been announced.
The 10 longlisted novels are:
- The White Girl (Tony Birch, UQP)
- Room for a Stranger (Melanie Cheng, Text)
- Islands (Peggy Frew, A&U)
- No One (John Hughes, UWA Publishing)
- Act of Grace (Anna Krien, Black Inc.)
- A Season on Earth (Gerald Murnane, Text)
- The Returns (Philip Salom, Transit Lounge)
- Exploded View (Carrie Tiffany, Text)
- The Yield (Tara June Winch, Hamish Hamilton)
- The Weekend (Charlotte Wood, A&U).
The shortlist will be announced on Wednesday 17 June, with the winner announcement to follow on Thursday 16 July.
‘This year’s Miles Franklin longlist is a mix of established and newer Australian authors,’ said State Library of NSW Mitchell Librarian Richard Neville on behalf of the judges. ‘Their novels give voice to a diversity of Australian characters whose common feature is their location on the margins, whether geographical, familial or societal. They explore the ripples and repercussions of childhood trauma, the healing power of friendship, and the unshakeable presence of the past.’
Alongside Neville, the 2020 judging panel also includes journalist for the Australian Murray Waldren, book critic Melinda Harvey, Abbey’s Bookshop senior book buyer Lindy Jones, and author and literary critic Bernadette Brennan.