Carmel Bird Digital Literary Award 2020 shortlist announced
The shortlist for the 2020 Carmel Bird Digital Literary Award has been announced.
Chosen from 80 submissions, including short story collections and novellas up to 30,000 words, the nine shortlisted works are:
- ‘The Free Box’ by Michalia Arathimos,
- ‘Zorba The Buddha’ by Katerina Cosgrove
- ‘Female(s and) Dogs’ by Brooke Dunnell
- ‘One Thing You Can’t Get For Nothing’ by Paulette Gittins
- ‘Meantime’ by Vahri McKenzie
- ‘The Tsars Football Club’ by Andrei Seleznev
- ‘Backseat Highway’ by Carly Smith,
- ‘Shadow Work’ by Sarah St Vincent Welch
- ‘Other Gods’ by Angella Whitton.
Launched in 2017, the Carmel Bird Digital Literary Award is an annual competition that showcases new works of short fiction up to 30,000 words in length from Australian writers. It is run by Spineless Wonders and supported by the Copyright Agency’s Cultural Fund. The three winning entrants will receive cash prizes totalling $5000 as well as publishing agreements with Spineless Wonders.
This year’s award is judged by Justin Wolfers. A winner and two finalists will be announced in September.
Last year’s winner was Tanya Vavilova for her short story collection Grub.