Colin Roderick Award 2020 longlist announced
The longlist for the 2020 Colin Roderick Award, administered by the Foundation for Australian Literary Studies at James Cook University, has been announced.
The longlisted titles are:
- Turn Left at Venus (Inez Baranay, Transit Lounge)
- From Secret Ballot to Democracy Sausage: How Australia Got Compulsory Voting (Judith Brett, Text)
- Peace (Garry Disher, Text)
- Songspirals: Sharing Women’s Wisdom of Country through Songlines (Gay’wu Group of Women, A&U)
- Shepherd (Catherine Jinks, Text)
- The Glad Shout (Alice Robinson, Affirm)
- The Lost Arabs (Omar Sakr, UQP)
- A Universe of Sufficient Size (Miriam Sved, Picador)
- Barefoot in the Bindis (Angela Wales, Affirm)
- The Yield (Tara June Winch, Hamish Hamilton)
- A Lovely & Terrible Thing (Chris Womersley, Picador)
- Paper Emperors: The rise of Australia’s newspaper empires (Sally Young, UNSW Press).
The $20,000 award is presented to the author of the title the judges determine is the best book published in Australia in the previous calendar year that deals with ‘any aspect of Australian life’.
Last year’s winner was Robert Drewe for The True Colour of the Sea (Hamish Hamilton).
For more information about the award see the website.