Folio Prize 2021 shortlist announced
In the UK, the shortlist for the £30,000 (A$53,700) Rathbones Folio Prize has been announced.
The eight shortlisted titles are:
- handiwork (Sara Baume, Tramp Press)
- Indelicacy (Amina Cain, Text)
- As You Were (Elaine Feeney, Harvill Secker)
- Poor (Caleb Femi, Penguin)
- My Darling from the Lions (Rachel Long, Picador)
- In the Dream House (Carmen Maria Machado, Serpent’s Tail)
- A Ghost in the Throat (Doireann Ní Ghríofa, Tramp Press)
- The Mermaid of Black Conch (Monique Roffey, Peepal Tree Press).
The shortlist comprises four works of fiction, two works of nonfiction and two poetry collections.
All the books considered for the prize are nominated by the Folio Academy, an international group of writers and critics, and the award is open to any English-language book regardless of form. Last year, Mexican novelist Valeria Luiselli became the first woman to win the prize for her novel Lost Children Archive (Fourth Estate).
The 2021 winner will be announced at a digital ceremony hosted with the British Library on 23 March. For more information about the prize, see the Folio Prize website.
Category: International news