PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction 2021 finalists announced
In the US, the finalists have been announced for the 2021 PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction, which recognises the best work of fiction published in the preceding year by an American author.
The finalists are:
- The Secret Lives of Church Ladies (Deesha Philyaw, West Virginia University Press)
- Disappear Doppelgänger Disappear (Matthew Salesses, Little A)
- The Knockout Queen (Rufi Thorpe, Alfred A Knopf)
- Mother Daughter Widow Wife (Robin Wasserman, Scribner)
- Scattered Lights (Steve Wiegenstein, Cornerpost).
‘The five finalists for this year’s PEN/Faulkner Award are very different, their dazzling voices restrained, chaotic, tender, and funny in turn,’ the judges said. ‘But all five are radical truth-seekers. In their worlds, we return to the most essential questions about how we live and why: the questions that our present moment in history has prompted, too.’
The winner will receive US$15,000 (A$19,170) and four finalists receive US$5000 (A$6390). The winner will be announced on 6 April and the virtual awards ceremony will be held on 10 May. Read more about the award here.
Category: International news