Dublin Literary Award shortlist announced
The shortlist for the 2021 Dublin Literary Award, worth €100,000 (A$155,200), has been announced, reports the Bookseller.
The shortlisted titles are:
- Girl, Woman, Other (Bernardine Evaristo, Hamish Hamilton)
- Lost Children Archive (Valeria Luiselli, Fourth Estate)
- Apeirogon (Colum McCann, Bloomsbury)
- Hurricane Season (Fernanda Melchor, trans by Sophie Hughes, Text)
- On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous (Ocean Vuong, Jonathan Cape)
- The Nickel Boys (Colson Whitehead, Little, Brown).
The award is presented annually for a novel written in English or translated into English, nominated by library systems in major cities around the world. First established in 1994, the award is now wholly funded by Dublin City Council.
Lord mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu said: ‘I am so excited about our literary award again this year. Literature time and again has one objective, and that is to explore the human condition, teaching us something new about others and ourselves. These are powerful and timely stories set in both familiar and unfamiliar countries and cultures. I urge everyone to read as many of these thought-provoking books as you can.’
The winner will be announced on 20 June. For more information, see the website.
Category: International news