ABIA Rising Stars 2021 shortlist announced
The shortlist for the Australian Book Industry Awards (ABIA) 2021 Rising Star of the Year Award has been announced.
The Rising Star Award is given to an emerging talent in Australian publishing who has spent less than 10 years in the industry.
The shortlisted publishing professionals are:
- Isabelle O’Brien, Allen & Unwin publicity manager
- Bianca Jafari, Thames & Hudson Australia publicist/product development
- Stef Italia, Text Publishing sales manager
- Pooja Desai, Hardie Grant Children’s Publishing head of design
- Meg Whelan, Affirm Press editor.
The judges said: ‘There was an exceptional calibre of candidates to consider and it was very difficult to choose the shortlist. The breadth of talent amongst publishing professionals in Australia is on display in the shortlist again this year.’
HarperCollins senior book designer Hazel Lam was the recipient of the 2020 Rising Star Award. The Rising Star Awards are now in their fourth year.
The ABIA awards winners will be announced at an evening event on Wednesday, 28 April.