Peter Carey Short Story Award 2021 longlist announced
The longlist for the 2021 Peter Carey Short Story Award has been announced.
Chosen from a record 336 entries by longlisting judges Brooke Dunnell and Alex Cothren, the 13 longlisted stories are:
- ‘Things To Do Before You Die’ by Alison Gibbs
- ‘The Counterfeit Feast’ by Amanda Hildebrandt
- ‘All Things Must Pass’ by Cameron Stewart
- ‘Ghost Babies’ by Catherine Hanrahan
- ‘The Wind Lifts You, It Takes You Forward’ by Claire Aman
- ‘Loyalty Program’ by Elisabeth Passmore
- ‘Performance (Variation 2)’ by Gail Chrisfield
- ‘Earth House’ by Hollen Singleton
- ‘Packing List For The Seasoned Traveller’ by Katerina Gibson
- ‘Venice’ by Laura Elvery
- ‘The Bear On The Beach’ by Rose Allan
- ‘Lingering’ by Sally Bothroyd
- ‘Flatmates’ by Sanchana Venkatesh.
The shortlist, chosen by writer Laurie Steed, will be announced in late May, with the winner to follow on Saturday, 12 June.
Organised by Moorabool Shire Council, the award, now in its fifth year, is for stories of 2000–3000 words and is open to all Australian residents. In 2021 the prize money has doubled on last year, with the winner to receive $2000, runner-up $1000 and best local entry $500. The winner and runner-up stories will also be published in the spring 2021 issue of Meanjin.