Rachel Funari Prize for Fiction 2021 shortlist announced
Lip magazine has announced the shortlist for the 2021 Rachel Funari Prize for Fiction.
The shortlisted stories are:
- ‘Homing Stars’ by Tiffany Korssen
- ‘Lady Finger’ by Keshe Chow
- ‘The Tooth Seed’ by Hannah van Didden
- ‘Nostos’ by Marina Deller
- ‘Here I Am’ by Tanya Vavilova
- ‘Lohmelle’ by Charlotte Guest
- ‘Mansion’ by Kerrin O’Sullivan
- ‘Margarita’ by Emily Kiddell
- ‘Millipede House’ by Alaina Dean
- ‘The Traveller’ by Nadia L King
- ‘The Ground is Greyer’ by Poppy Solomon.
In its ninth year, the prize is open to women, female-identifying and non-binary writers, and is held in honour of Lip’s late founding editor, Rachel Funari. Writers were invited to submit up to 2000 words of unpublished and unperformed fiction that engaged with the theme ‘homecoming’.
The winner will be selected by Lip’s editors along with guest judges Adalya Nash Hussein, Vivian Pham and Nicola Redhouse. The winner will receive a $1000 cash prize, second place receives $500 and third place wins $250. All winners will additionally receive a book pack courtesy of the prize’s sponsors and supporters, and publication on Lip’s website.
Winners will be announced on 22 June at the 2021 Emerging Writers’ Festival’s ‘Amazing Babes’ event. See the event page here.