Nib Literary Award 2021 shortlist announced
The shortlist for the $20,000 Mark and Evette Moran Nib Literary Award, known as ‘the Nib’, has been announced.
The shortlisted books are:
- Only Happiness Here: In search of Elizabeth von Arnim (Gabrielle Carey, UQP)
- The Winter Road: A story of legacy, land and a killing at Croppa Creek (Kate Holden, Black Inc.)
- A Letter to Layla: Travels to our deep past and near future (Ramona Koval, Text)
- The Believer: Encounters with love, death & faith (Sarah Krasnostein, Text)
- Son of the Brush (Tim Olsen, A&U)
- Amnesia Road: Landscape, violence and memory (Luke Stegemann, NewSouth).
Presented by Sydney’s Waverley Council and celebrating its 20th year, the Nib recognises the role research plays in fiction and nonfiction and is Australia’s only major literary award presented by a local council. The all-nonfiction shortlist was chosen from a longlist of 18 announced in August.
Each shortlisted author receives the $1000 Alex Buzo Shortlist Prize, named in honour of the Australian playwright who was a former judge of the Nib Award, and instrumental in its development.
The winner of last year’s Nib Award was Fathoms: The world in the whale by Rebecca Giggs (Scribe).