Williams, Pape, Bluey top Australian bestsellers 2021 YTD
The Dictionary of Lost Words by Pip Williams has topped the Australian fiction bestsellers for the year to date (YTD), selling more than 66,000 copies in 2021 so far, edging out Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton, which has sold more than 40,000 for the year. Dalton’s 2020 follow-up All Our Shimmering Skies sits at number six on the Australian fiction bestsellers for 2021 to date, while Jane Harper also boasts multiple titles in the top 10. Released this year, Michael Robotham’s When You Are Mine and Jacqueline Bublitz’s debut Before You Knew My Name are the newest titles on the chart.
In Australian nonfiction, Scott Pape’s financial advice continues to reign supreme, with The Barefoot Investor selling more than 72,000 copies in 2021 so far, years after its 2016 release. The perennial bestseller comes in ahead of The Happiest Man on Earth by Eddie Jaku, which has sold more than 60,000 copies YTD. Another long-term bestseller, Bruce Pascoe’s Dark Emu, published in 2018, remains in the top 10 Australian nonfiction bestsellers. The newest title on the charts is Norman Swan’s 2021 health and wellbeing guide So You Think You Know What’s Good for You?
In Australian children’s books, the bestsellers charts are dominated by series, but even more so by Bluey. So comprehensive is the hold of the cartoon character on the Australian charts that Nielsen provides children’s chart data with Bluey titles removed. Across the eight picture books and Bluey activity books from the pre-school and picture books category, Bluey titles have sold 392,000 copies for the year so far.
Australian fiction bestsellers 2021 YTD
- Dictionary of Lost Words (Pip Williams, Affirm)
- Boy Swallows Universe (Trent Dalton, Fourth Estate)
- The Dry: Film tie-in (Jane Harper, Pan)
- The Survivors (Jane Harper, Pan)
- Honeybee (Craig Silvey, A&U)
- All Our Shimmering Skies (Trent Dalton, Fourth Estate)
- The Dry (Jane Harper, Pan)
- When You Are Mine (Michael Robotham, Hachette)
- The Lost Man (Jane Harper, Pan)
- Before You Knew My Name (Jacqueline Bublitz, A&U).
Australian nonfiction bestsellers 2021 YTD
- The Barefoot Investor (Scott Pape, Wiley)
- The Happiest Man on Earth (Eddie Jaku, Macmillan)
- The Easiest Air Fryer Book (Kim McCosker, 4 Ingredients)
- Phosphorescence (Julia Baird, Fourth Estate)
- So You Think You Know What’s Good for You? (Norman Swan, Hachette)
- She’s on the Money (Victoria Devine, Penguin Life)
- The Resilience Project (Hugh van Cuylenburg, Penguin Life)
- Dark Emu (Bruce Pascoe, Magabala)
- Air Fryer Express (George Georgievski, Plum)
- Un-Cook Yourself (Nat’s What I Reckon, Ebury).
Australian children’s and YA bestsellers 2021 YTD (excluding pre-school and picture books)
- The Bad Guys Episode 13: Cut to the Chase (Aaron Blabey, Scholastic)
- Ninja Kid #7: Ninja Toys! (Anh Do, Scholastic)
- The 130-Storey Treehouse (Andy Griffiths & Terry Denton, Pan)
- Wolf Girl 5: Across the Sea (Anh Do, A&U)
- Wolf Girl 4: Traitor (Anh Do, A&U)
- Weirdo #16: Tasty Weird (Anh Do, Scholastic)
- Wolf Girl 1: Into the Wild (Anh Do, A&U)
- The Treehouse Jokebook 2 (Andy Griffiths & Terry Denton, Pan)
- Wolf Girl 2: The Great Escape (Anh Do, A&U)
- Wolf Girl 3: The Secret Cave (Anh Do, A&U).
© Nielsen BookScan 2021
Period covered: 3 January 2021 to week ending 28 August 2021.
Category: Think Australian newsletter Bestsellers