ABA 2022 Bookseller of the Year shortlists announced
The Australian Booksellers Association (ABA) has announced the shortlists for the 2022 ABA Bookseller of the Year awards.
The awards recognise an individual bookseller for their outstanding achievement in the past 12 months, with the young bookseller of the year award rewarding a bookseller 35 or under. This year includes the addition of a new children’s bookseller category. The winner in each category receives $1000.
The shortlisted booksellers in each category are:
Bookseller of the Year
- Desiree Boardman, Readings Hawthorn (Hawthorn, Vic)
- Melanie Peacock, Constant Reader (Crows Nest, NSW)
- Andrew Sims, Gleebooks (Glebe, NSW)
- Ellen Spalding, The Sun Bookshop (Yarraville, Vic)
- Jennifer Stephens, Avid Reader (West End, Qld)
Young Bookseller of the Year
- Robert Albazi, Paperback Bookshop (Melbourne, Vic)
- Kimaya Charlton, Where the Wild Things Are (West End, Qld)
- Taraneh Houshyar, Iwan Bookshop (New Farm, Qld)
- Eleni James, Neighbourhood Books (Northcote, Vic)
- Michaela Walsh, Avid Reader (West End, Qld)
Children’s Bookseller of the Year
- Danica Beaudoin, Beachside Bookshop (Avalon, NSW)
- Angela Crocombe, Readings Kids (Carlton, Vic)
- Kasia Janczewski, Where the Wild Things Are (Brisbane, Qld)
- Leesa Lambert, The Little Bookroom (Fitzroy North, Vic)
- Becky Lucas, Shakespeare’s Bookshop (Blackwood, SA)
- Pauline McLeod, Riverbend Books (Bulimba, Qld).
The winners will be announced on Sunday, 12 June at the ABA conference in Sydney, along with the winners of the Booksellers’ Choice awards. Last year The Little Bookroom’s Michael Earp was named Bookseller of the Year, and Where the Wild Things Are’s Genevieve Kruyssen was awarded Young Bookseller of the Year.
For more information on the awards, see the ABA website.