Queensland Literary Awards 2017 winners announced
The winners of the 2017 Queensland Literary Awards (QLAs) were announced on 4 October.
The winning titles in each category are:
- The Birdman’s Wife (Melissa Ashley, Affirm)
- Saltwater (Cathy McLennan, UQP)
- Words in Deep Blue (Cath Crowley, Pan Macmillan)
- The Grand, Genius Summer of Henry Hoobler (Lisa Shanahan, A&U)
- Into the Heart of Tasmania (Rebe Taylor, MUP)
Steele Rudd Award for a Short Story Collection
- The Circle and the Equator (Kyra Giorgi, UWAP)
Judith Wright Calanthe Award for a Poetry Collection
- Fragments (Antigone Kefala, Giramondo)
Queensland Premier’s Award for a Work of State Significance
- The Daintree Blockade: The Battle for Australia’s Tropical Rainforests (Bill Wilkie, Four Mile Books)
Queensland Premier’s Young Publishers and Writers Awards (joint winners)
- Lech Blaine
- Mindy Gill
Unpublished Indigenous Writer—David Unaipon Award
- Lisa Fuller for ‘Mirrored Pieces’
Emerging Queensland Writer—Manuscript Award
- Janet Lee for ‘The Killing of Louisa’
Digital literature award
- Jason Nelson for ‘Nine Billion Branches’
People’s Choice Queensland Book of the Year Award
- Saltwater (Cathy McLennan, UQP).
The winners were chosen from shortlists announced in September.
The QLAs are managed by the State Library of Queensland, which took over from the volunteer QLA Committee in 2014. For more information about the awards, visit the website here.